These were one of the best Chicken Mole Tacos I have ever tasted.
I found the original recipe in a Better Homes & Garden Magazine and have searched the internet for it but for some reason it’s not found. The original recipe was created by Robby Melvin but I have adapted it and you get to be the recipient of it’s deliciousness. Yay for you!
Alright so ~ a disclaimer here ~ I don’t like very spicy sauces so you’ll need to add extra adobo sauce if you want it spicier.
One of the things that I normally do NOT have in my cupboard because I enjoy them way too much are tortillas. In this recipe I used flour tortillas because the mole sauce is so juicy and the flour tortillas hold up much better.
Here’s a peek at what your slow cooker will look like when the chicken is almost ready … Uh, shoulda made more, eh? Well, this is 4 chicken thighs for two of us.
It was, well, pretty close to perfection … 🙂
I decided to use Manchego Cheese which is a white cheese that I find at Costco but, you can use any cheese your heart desires.
Ready to see the recipe?
Here you go ~
Slow Cooker Chicken Mole Tacos
- 1 14 ounce can unsalted diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- 1 ounce semi sweet baking chocolate finely chopped
- 1/4 cup raisins (1 small box)
- 1/4 chicken stock
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 Tbsp canned adobe sauce (from the chipotle chili can)
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 chipotle chili, canned in adobo sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed
- 4 bone-in chicken thighs with no skin (or remove skin once cooked)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 ounce cheese, shredded (I used Manchego)
- Flour tortillas
- Make the mole sauce in a food blender by adding the following and blending until smooth:
- tomatoes, onion, almonds, chocolate, raisins, chicken stock, cumin, adobo sauce, cinnamon, chipotle chiles and garlic
- Sprinkle the chicken with salt and pepper then place it in your slow cooker.
- Add the blender mixture over the chicken.
- Put the lid on the slow cooker and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- When the chicken is ready, remove them from the slow cooker and remove the bones from the chicken.
- Shred the chicken into pieces and return them to the slow cooker.
- Discard the bones.
- Heat the tortillas on a skillet one at a time on medium heat.
- Add the chicken mixture, cheese and any other toppings you'd like to the tortillas and enjoy!