It’s not easy to find a good potato soup. Why is that?
I finally found a vegan one that I “unveganed.” (laughing) I left out raw cashews and soy milk so this is basically a new recipe. In addition, I added sour cream which gave the soup a more “full bodied” taste.
The soup turned out good but you have to be careful how much white pepper you add … although, I thought I had put too much (what the recipe called for) and my husband thought it could use more. Go figure.
I have to remind myself that I might think a recipe is too sweet, tart, etc. but to someone else it’s perfectly fine. Hmmm … I guess not everyone is like me. (laughing)
- 3 medium Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled, cut into small pieces then boiled until cooked (thrust a fork through a piece and if the fork comes out easily, ie the potato is not hard but soft, then the potatoes are ready
- 1/2 small onion, chopped
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1/4 teaspoon rosemary
- 1/8 – 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups 2% milk
- 3 tablespoons sour cream
- In a medium sized frying pan, sauté the onion until its soft.
- Add 2/3 of the potato to the pan, along with the broth, rosemary, white pepper, and salt.
- Simmer this mixture, covered, for 10-15 minutes.
- Pour this mixture into a blender along with the milk.
- Blend until smooth.
- Put the blended mixture in a soup pot, add the remaining 1/4 potatoes and the sour cream then stir.
- Cook through, stirring often, over low heat until hot.
That’s it! I’m learning to play with the ingredients in recipes that I find and it’s quite fun to experiment. I served this with banana bread that went beautifully with it.