Do you like cabbage? I’ve grown to like it very much and this recipe, which is adapted for paleo folks, makes me enjoy eating it even more. It doesn’t even taste like “cabbage” ~ not that there’s anything wrong with the taste of cabbage.
So, let’s take a look at it shall we? Here are the ingredients:
I used 1/2 green cabbage and 1/2 purple cabbage as I wanted to vary the color in the recipe. That’s the only reason.
Next, in a large pot, I added olive oil and let that warm before adding the shallots, salt, turmeric, and the red pepper flakes (a little for a mild taste and a lot for spicy). I allowed this to cook through for a few minutes before I added the beef which I cooked until it was browned.
Next I added the sliced cabbage and the tomato wedges. I added the nuts once everything was cooked through.
See how easy that’s going to be? Shall we look at the recipe in its entirety?
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 whole shallots, sliced thinly
- 1 teaspoon salt or to your taste
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 pound ground sirloin
- 1/2 green cabbage, sliced thinly
- 1/2 purple cabbage, sliced thinly
- 2 Roma Tomatoes, sliced thinly
- 1/3 cup slivered almonds
- In a large pot, add the olive oil and let it get warm.
- Add the shallots, salt, turmeric and the red pepper and mix this together until the shallots are soft.
- Add the beef and mix everthing together frequently until the beef is browned.
- Next, add the cabbage and the tomatoes and stir everything together a few times.
- Reduce the heat to a medium low, cover the pot and cook everything through for 10-15 minutes until the cabbage has softened.
- Stir in the almonds and cook for a few more minutes.
Recipe adapted from MyRecipes.com.
(For more paleo recipes, click here.)