|Eggplant Parmagiana with broccoli|
A very good vegetarian dish that even your non-vegetarians will enjoy (as long as you don’t tell them it’s eggplant).
1 large eggplant (I used 2 medium sized ones) peeled
3 tablespoons water
1/3 cup all purpose flour
1/8 tsp salt
Oil for deep frying
2 cups marinara sauce, divided
2 cups shredded Mozarella cheese (about 8 ounces)
1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
1. Preheat oven to 375F
2. Peel and slice the eggplant into 1/4 inch slices
3. In a large shallow bowl, beat the eggs with the water. Using a whisk, stir in the flour and salt until smooth.
4. In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium heat until it bubbles when a drop of batter is tossed in.
5. Dip 3 or 4 of the eggplant slices into the batter, then fry in a single layer until browned on the bottom. Turn and cook until browned on other side. Remove from skillet and drain on paper towels. Repeat with remaining eggplant slices until all are fried.
6. Spread 1/2 cup of the sauce in the bottom of a 9x13x2 inch baking pan. Layer 1/2 of the slices over the sauce. Top with 1 cup of the sauce, spreading to cover the eggplant slices. Sprinkle 1 cup of the mozzarella over the sauce and top with 2 tablespoons of the Parmesan.
7. Place the remaining eggplant slices over the cheese and spread the remaining 1/2 cup of the sauce over the eggplant. Sprinkle the remaining 1 cup of mozarella over the sauce. Sprinkle with the remaining Parmesan.
8. Cover the baking dish with aluminum foil and bake 20-25 minutes or until heated through and the cheese has melted.