This is one of my favorite recipes. I make 1 1/2 times the original amount to serve 4 people. The sauce is creamy but you can make it less creamy if you use milk instead of the half-and-half.
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 16 ounces penne or tortellini pasta
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 1/4 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups half-and-half
- 1/8 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil or 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Fresh black pepper, to taste
- In a dry skillet, cook the pine nuts over medium heat until lightly browned, shaking the skillet occasionally so as not to burn them. Remove from skillet and set aside.
- Cook the pasta in salted boiling water according to package directions then drain.
- While the pasta is cooking, melt the butter in a 1 quart saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and cook about 10 seconds.
- Add the flour – cook, stirring until the flour is absorbed.
- Add the half-and-half and the salt. Cook, stirring until the mixture comes to a boil and has thickened.
- Remove from heat and stir in the basil and grated Parmesan.
- Put the pasta and sauce in a large bowl and toss together until all is combined. Grind the pepper on top and toss.
Very very good pasta dish. I found the recipe in a book called 1,000 Vegetarian Recipes.