Looking for a low fat easy dinner? Try the Morningstar Vegetarian Grillers. They can be found in the freezer section of almost any grocery store. Each box contains 4 grillers (burgers).
Below is the recipe for how our family makes them served with homemade gravy and mashed potatoes.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cubes of vegetable bouillon
- 1 1/2 cups boiling water
- 1/2 cup of milk
- 4-8 grillers (broken into 4 pieces each)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
- Thaw the grillers (burgers) and cut each griller into 4 pieces then set aside
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan
- Add the flour to the saucepan and, using a whisk, stir both together until combined and heated through
- Dissolve bouillon in the boiling water (have this ready before you combine the butter and the flour)
- Add the bouillon water to the saucepan
- Add the milk
- Whisk everything together until all is heated through and it thickens
- Put the grillers in a baking dish and cover with the sauce
- Bake until the sauce is bubbling
- 8 medium red potatoes, diced
- 3-4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup of warmed milk
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of pepper
- In a medium sized pot, boil the potatoes until a fork pricked through them comes out soft (about 10 minutes). Then drain the potatoes and put them back in the pot.
- Add 3 tablespoons of butter, 1/4 cup of warm milk, 3 cloves minced garlic and a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Using a masher, mash the potatoes. Adjust the consistency to your liking — if you like your mashed potatoes lumpy then don’t mash as much. Add more milk if you want a softer mushier consistency.