What to do with leftover ripe bananas and french bread? Why not stuffed french toast?
This recipe is pretty easy to follow. The only complaint I received from my guests was that the bananas were too ripe and therefore I could have used less. But, I’m a banana aficionado so it didn’t bother me in the least bit. I did make 1 1/2 times the batter (already shown below) as otherwise it wouldn’t have been enough.
- 4 ripe bananas, mashed
- 8 slices French bread
- 3/4 cup milk
- 3 eggs at room temperature
- 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Lightly spray a cast iron or an ovenproof skillet with cooking spray and then heat over medium heat.
- Spread 1 mashed banana on top of 4 slices of bread (one banana per slice)
- Place remaining four slices on top to make a sandwich.
- In a bowl, whisk together the milk, eggs, vanilla and cinnamon.
- Dip the bread in the egg batter for about 30 seconds on each side then place the banana sandwich in the skillet.
- Cook each side for approximately two minutes.
- Place bread on an ungreased baking sheet and bake in a preheated oven for 8 minutes. Serve warm.