One of our favorite homemade dishes is Three-Cheese Macaroni and Cheese.
- 12 ounces elbow macaroni
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 3 cups milk (I use skim milk)
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded Gouda cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon anchovy-free Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- Bread crumbs (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
- Cook the macaroni according to the package directions for the minimum time then drain and put the macaroni back in the pot
- In a 3 quart saucepan, over medium-high heat, melt the butter then stir in the flour until it is absorbed
- Add the milk then stir using a whisk. Cook over medium heat making sure to stir constantly until mixture comes to a boil. (Make sure you get all the edges of the pot so that there are no clumps in the bottom.)
- Stir in the cheeses, the Worcestershire sauce and the salt.
- Remove from heat and continue stirring until the cheeses are melted
- Add the cheese sauce to the macaroni and stir
- Pour into a greased 9-inch square baking pan. Sprinkle with bread crumbs if you desire
- Bake for 30 to 45 minutes or until bread crumbs are browned and/or sauce is bubbly
You can use low fat cheeses for this recipe along with the skim milk.
I found this recipe in one of my favorite vegetarian cookbooks called 1,000 Vegetarian Recipes.