This soup is delicious! I considered pureeing it but decided to try it as the original recipe indicated.
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped tomato
- 2 celery ribs, chopped (original recipe called for 1)
- 1 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup dried red lentils
- 4 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth (original recipe calls for chicken broth)
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley or 1 tablespoon dried
- Heat oil in a 4- to 5-quart heavy saucepan over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking.
- Saute the onion, stirring until golden (about 5 minutes)
- Add the garlic, carrots, tomato, celery, cumin and salt then saute, stirring about 2 minutes.
- Add the lentils, water and broth and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the lentils are tender, about 20 minutes.
- Stir in the parsley.
- Season with the salt.
Serve with warm bread and slices of cheese.
I used Trader Joe’s Organic Vegetable Broth. At first I thought the soup would taste too “brothy” but it turned out fine when everything heated through together.
[amazon_link id=”0979938414″ target=”_blank” container=”” container_class=”” ][/amazon_link]
(Original recipe at Epicurious,Â http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Red-Lentil-Soup-106995)