This apple crisp is different than the apple cake recipe that I made recently which had granola as the topping. My husband prefers this apple recipe whereas I liked the one I made before. Both are good — it’s just a matter of how crunchy you like the top and how sweet. This one is much sweeter.
- 4 medium tart apples (I used honey crisp as that’s what I had available), peeled, cored and sliced
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup oats (quick cooking or regular)
- 1/3 cup butter softened
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Ice cream, optional
- Heat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Grease the bottom/sides of an 8-inch square pan.
- Spread the apples in the pan.
- In a medium bowl, stir the remaining ingredients, except the ice cream, until its well mixed. Sprinkle this mixture over the apples.
- Bake for about 30 minutes or until the topping is golden brown and the apples are tender when you pierce them with a form.
- Serve warm.