I’ve had a cookbook in my pantry called Recipes from the Weimar Kitchen for quite awhile. Every now and then, I pull it out and try one of the recipes. All of the recipes are vegan. I’ve had meals I’ve made that have been vegan without my trying to make them vegan so it’s not something unique.
But next year, I’d like to try having more vegan meals. I’ve heard that dairy can upset the body with allergies. So — why not test the waters and see if removing the dairy can actually help?
The picture of the recipe I just tried doesn’t look so good but in actuality the meal was good. One could use a Ragu, Prego or homemade spaghetti sauce for the topping and it would still be vegan.
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 3 cups cooked pinto beans with one cup juice
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 12 corn tortillas
- tomato sauce
- Cashew-Pimento “Cheese” Spread (see recipe below)
- Combine the first 7 ingredients and mash.
- Heat the mixture through.
- Fill the tortillas with the bean filling.
- Place seam side down in a 13 inch baking dish which has a thin layer of tomato sauce covering the bottom. (I used Ragu spaghetti sauce.)
- Cover with tomato sauce (or spaghetti sauce)
- Top with the Cashew-Pimento Cheese Spread.
- Bake for 45 minutes at 325 degrees Fahrenheit or until heated through.
Cashew Pimento “Cheese” Spread
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 ounce can of pimentos and juice
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- Pinch of thyme
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon
- Blend the cashews with the water until smooth.
- Salt it to your taste
- Put this mixture in a pan and heat through stirring constantly until it gets thick.
- Return mixture to the bender and add the rest of the ingredients.
- Mix all together.
What I learned:
- Cashews are expensive so you can substitute with a spaghetti sauce
- The pimentos give it the “cheesy” look
- You can substitute the fresh beans for canned beans
This was a very filling dinner. I served it with corn.
[amazon_enhanced asin=”0961064803″ container=”” container_class=”” price=”All” background_color=”FFFFFF” link_color=”000000″ text_color=”0000FF” /]
[amazon_link id=”0785271406″ target=”_blank” container=”” container_class=”” ]
Hmmm … maybe I should get the newer version of this cookbook.