I’m finding that the simpler the salad the more tasty it is. This salad is chockful of vitamins and tastes delicious. I did not have white balsamic vinegar (again) so used regular balsamic vinegar. I must go buy some as more and more recipes seem to call for it.
Note: Make sure you lightly coat the salad with the vinaigrette and keep the rest on the side so that people who don’t like a lot of vinaigrette don’t gag on it.
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- Salt & pepper
- 5 cups fresh baby spinach, washed
- 1 cup toasted slivered almonds
- 1/2 cup sliced or chopped figs
- 1 Fuji apple, peeled, cored and cut into bit size pieces
- In a small bowl, combine the oil, vinegar, sugar, salt and pepper to your taste then set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the spinach, almonds, figs and the apple. Add the vinaigrette a little at a time, toss the salad and taste it until the vinaigrette reaches the “right” consistency for you.
That’s it! Pretty simple, eh? The figs can be replaced with cranberries or any other dried fruit but they gave the salad a tad bit of sweetness which I liked. The almonds crunchiness Â worked wonderfully with the spinach. Potato chip lovers — make a salad and use almonds for a healthier snack. Better yet, make this salad.
We had a little bit leftover and the next day I finished it off and it still tasted as good.
This recipe was found in one of my favorite books 1000 Vegan Recipes.
[amazon_link id=”B009CVA2GA” target=”_blank” container=”” container_class=”” ][/amazon_link]