Besides posting reviews on paleo recipes that our family has tried, I will be posting some new ones that I am making. (As you recall, my son was cooking for us before but he’s off to new adventures now.)
This entree and salad are very simple to make. The chicken does take a little time to bake (40 minutes or so) but it’s well worth it. Even though you use few ingredients for the chicken, it is quite tasteful.
Here are the recipes for both …
Ingredients for Baked Chicken Thighs
- 4 chicken thighs, with skin and bones
- 1 shallot, peeled and sliced thin
- 3 cloves of garlic, crushed into a paste
- Salt and pepper to taste
Simple, just like I said, right?
I used a mortar and pestle to make my garlic into a paste.
My paste wasn’t too pasty though …
- Preheat oven to bake at 425°F
- Rinse chicken thighs and place in a baking pan
- Pat the thighs dry with a paper towel
- Using your finger gently separate the skin from the thigh to create a pocket on top but make sure you don’t remove the skin
- Combine the shallot and garlic then use a butter knife or small spoon to spread the mixture under the skin
- Sprinkle the skin with salt and pepper
- Bake for 40–45 minutes, or until the juices run clear.
The chicken will look like this after its prepped.
And like this once it’s baked …
These were absolutely scrumptious. The original recipe calls for 8 chicken thighs but I don’t think there would have been enough of the pasty mixture to fill them and have them taste good.
Oh yes, the salad. (Don’t worry, I didn’t forget.) My husband used to make this salad when I would allow him into the kitchen. It’s easy, nutritious and quite goodly to the palette. It’s called a Cucumber, Tomato and Onion Salad and here are the ingredients you need.
- 2 cucumbers, peeled and thinly sliced
- 4 roma tomatoes (original recipe calls for pint cherry tomatoes) sliced thickly
- 1/2 Vidalia onion, sliced thinly
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper (to your taste)
- In a medium sized bowl, combine the cucumbers, tomatoes, onion and parsley
- In a small bowl, combine the vinegar, olive oil, salt, and pepper.
- Add half of the oil mixture over the salad and toss lightly
- Refrigerate for approximately 10 minutes
- Set out the rest of the oil mixture to add if you need more dressing.
That’s it! And it’s a pretty salad.
This combination was perfect. I think it will become one of my staples.
[amazon_link id=”B004FRYBPY” target=”_blank” container=”” container_class=”” ][/amazon_link]