We don’t have green beans on a regular basis as on the paleo diet green beans are a “no-no” for some people but we decided to have some today with grilled beef ribs.
The recipe for thisÂ Paleo Almond Green Beans is very easy to follow and doesn’t have very many ingredients. It also tasted very good and didn’t taste like coconut milk although there was some in the sauce.
They were scrumptious to say the least. Maybe more so because we hadn’t had them in awhile.
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds
- 1/2 medium onion, finely diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili pepper flakes
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 pound green beans, trimmed
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves, minced (2 tablespoons) (optional)
- Heat the oil in a large pan over medium heat.
- Add the almonds and cookÂ until lightly browned.
- Remove the almonds from the pan and set aside temporarily.
- In the same pan, sautÃ© the onion, garlic, cumin, coriander, paprika, chili pepper
flakes, and salt.
- Cook until the onion is soft and beginning to get a tad brown.
- Add the coconut milk to the pan and mix well, then add the green beans making
sure everything is blended.
- Bring the pan to a boil, reduce the heat to a simmer,Â and cook covered until the beans are tender to your liking.
- When the beans have reached your desired tenderness, remove the lid and let the
sauce cook down until it thickens a bit.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in theÂ almonds, lime juice, and cilantro.
- Stir well and enjoy!
Simple, right? Most people don’t have coconut milk in their pantries but my mother buys me cans of it and sends them with me when I go to visit her. Don’t ask why as I can’t explain it either. (laughing)