Ready for a new paleo salad recipe? I probably won’t make this one too often but not because it wasn’t good. It’s the pomegranates. They are expensive. I bought a container with the seeds in them instead of buying an actual pomegranate and fighting with it to get the seeds out.
The first time I saw a pomegranate my friend was sitting with it in her hands, peeling it and removing the seeds — one by one. It didn’t look like much fun.
This salad is worth making though. I know a lot of people have Sunday family dinners and this would be great for such an occasion.
The dressing was a little too balsamic-y for me but I followed my usual pattern of serving it on the side so I was able to manage how strong it was in the salad.
Here’s the recipe for you to try. Let me know if you “play” with the dressing.
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/8 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- 4 cups trimmed baby arugula
- 4 cups baby spinach
- 1/4 cup pomegranate seeds
- 1/4 cup fresh blueberries
- 1/4 cup toasted slivered almonds
- Bring the vinegar to a slow boil over medium-high heat.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 2 minutes. The vinegar will start to resemble a syrup.
- Remove the pan from the heat and add the honey.
- Set aside while you assemble the salad.
- Toss the arugula and spinach with olive oil, salt, and pepper.
- Add the pomegranate seeds, blueberries, almonds and balsamic reduction.
- Serve immediately.
See how simple that was? It’s a pretty salad too!
Special thanks to Against All Grain for this recipe.