I had a desire for barbecue chicken. Do you ever get those gut desires? This time I had to follow my desire … and I wasn’t disappointed.
This is taken from two recipes that I combined and frankly – it came out great!
First I made the ingredients for the chicken coating (rub). My kind of recipe — not too many ingredients.
The ingredients for the barbecue sauce were a few more but manageable.
I thought the ingredients for the barbecue sauce would make too much but it evaporated just like the recipe said plus I halved the original recipe.
So … let’s look at the recipes.
Ingredients for the Chicken RubÂ from the Paleo Flip website
- 1Â lb chicken thighs (I used skin on/bone in)
- 1Â teaspoon salt
- 1Â teaspoon garlic powder.
- 1/2 teaspoonÂ paprika
- 1/4 teaspoonÂ cayenne
- 1/2 teaspoonÂ black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 380 degrees.
- Mix the spices in a bowl and dip the chicken pieces in it to coat the chicken.
- Put the chicken in an oven proof baking dish.
- Bake in the oven for 35 minutes.
- Prepare the barbecue sauce while the chicken is baking.
- After 35 minutes (or so) take the chicken out of the oven and brush it on both sides generously with the barbecue sauce.
- Put the chicken back in the oven for 5 additional minutes.
Ingredients for Barbecue SauceÂ from the Paleo Cupboard website
- 8 oz tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2.5 tablespoons raw honey
- 1/4 tablespoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 tablespoon onion powder
- 1/4 tablespoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice
- Put all the ingredients in a medium saucepan over medium high heat and stir to combine.
- Taste and adjust any seasonings to your liking then bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low and allow to simmer for approximately 1 hour.
- Brush the barbecue sauce on the chicken.
And this is the beautiful final result.
Ahhh .. I’d say heaven but I don’t believe we’ll be eating meat there as there will be no killing … so, I’ll say delicioso!