While on the paleo diet, one of the foods I miss (if it can be called a food) is hot chocolate. So … I have created a “cheat” hot chocolate. It’s not quite paleo because the chocolate has a tad bit of sugar and milk in it but it’s such a small piece of chocolate that I don’t think it matters that much. (Perhaps I think that because it tastes so good?)
Anyway … I’ll share my homemade recipe with you. It can be sweetened more by adding a tad bit more honey but I (having a sweet tooth) believe it tastes perfect just as I made it.
You’ll only need three ingredients. The chocolate I used was a Ghiradelli Chocolate Bar with 72% cacao. You can use a darker more bitter chocolate if you like but this percent seems to work well for me.
I used canned coconut milk as it seems to have a much smoother consistency than the boxed ones you see on the grocery shelves thus giving the chocolate a “fuller” taste.
I also used a frother by BonJour. It makes the chocolate frothy and you feel like you have an expensive cup of chocolate that you bought at the local cafe.
Here’s the recipe — tell me what you think.
- 1 square of a Ghiradelli Twilight Delight Chocolate Bar
- 8 ounces Coconut Milk, from a can
- 1/2 teaspoon organic raw honey
- In a small sauce pan, on medium low heat, add the coconut milk.
- With your hands, crumble the chocolate square and add the pieces to the coconut milk then stir until its all melted.
- Add the honey to the milk mixture and stir until well combined.
- Allow the mixture to almost boil (unless you like really really hot chocolate) then remove the sauce pan from the heat.
- Pour the chocolate into your favorite mug and enjoy.
- If you want to use a frother, I usually froth it right in the mug until I have the amount of frothiness that I want.
That’s it! Â Pretty simple and quite tasty. (I could have it every day. Â Shhh … don’t tell anyone because I said I “could” not I “do.”)