This Roasted Chicken Thighs with Lemon and Oregano is another great paleo recipe for chicken thighs.
Although the recipe is not labeled as paleo, I did not have to make any changes to it. I did have to, for the first time in my life, buy wine. Fortunately for me the recipe told me exactly which wine to get AND it was inexpensive. There are just a few ingredients to use besides the chicken thighs.
You’ll be putting the chicken in a skillet skin side down and allowing the skin to render then baking it in the oven.
After the chicken is rendered, you’ll be baking it in the oven and when it comes out, you’ll be making a broth of sorts with the spices and some of the lemon.
After the chicken is baked and rested, you’ll be putting it back into the broth to warm it.
Doesn’t it look beautiful? Â It’s as beautiful as it is delicious. Â Are you ready to try it?
- 1Â lemon
- 4Â large skin-on, boneless chicken thighs
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3Â teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 3Â sprigs oregano or 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1Â tablespoon minced shallot
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/8Â teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4Â cup dry white wine (such as Sauvignon Blanc)
- 1/2Â cup low-sodium chicken broth
- Preheat the oven to 425Â°.
- Very thinly slice half of the lemon discarding any seeds. Â Next, cut the remaining lemon half into 2 wedges and season the chicken thighs with salt and pepper.
- Coat a large room-temperature skillet with 1 teaspoon oil.
- Add the chicken, skin side down.
- Place the skillet over medium heat and cook the chicken allowing the skin to render and brown. Pour off excess fat to maintain a thin coating in the pan until chicken is cooked halfway through, about 10 minutes.
- Scatter half of the lemon slices over the chicken and half on the bottom of the skillet (the slices on top of the chicken will soften; those in the skillet will caramelize).
- Transfer the skillet to the oven leaving the chicken skin side down.
- Roast until the chicken is cooked through, skin is crisp, and the lemon slices on the bottom of the skillet are caramelized, 6-8 minutes.
- Transfer the chicken pieces, skin side up, and caramelized lemon slices from the bottom of the skillet to a warm platter. (Leave softened lemon slices in the skillet.)
- Return the skillet to medium heat.
- Add oregano sprigs, shallot, garlic, and red pepper flakes to the skillet and cook, stirring frequently, until fragrant — about a minute or so.
- Remove the skillet from the heat.
- Add the wine then cook over medium heat until the liquid is reduced by half, 1-2 minutes.
- Add the broth then cook until the liquid thickens, about 3 minutes.
- Squeeze 1 lemon wedge over the chicken and season the sauce with salt, pepper and the juice from the remaining lemon wedge, if desired.
- Drizzle with 2 teaspoons oil (if you find this necessary — I did not).
- Return the chicken to the skillet, skin side up, to rewarm.
- Serve topped with caramelized lemon slices.
Wonderful meal! I served it with steamed vegetables.