I had bought some eggplants so decided to try this paleo Crispy Baked Eggplant Dipper recipe. It was a hit — even as leftovers! I served them with Lamb Chops with a Herb and Garlic Sauce along with a Tomato/Onion Salad. Delicious!
Here are the main ingredients for the recipe …
You’ll be setting up a dipping station that will look something like this …
Then you’ll be putting them on a rack for baking after they’re prepared. (it’s a little messy but well worth it.)
They’ll come out looking like this. Yes, yes, some of them look a tad crispier than others but that didn’t affect the taste.
Remove them and place them on a platter. You’ll be serving this with a marinara sauce.
Ready to try it?
- 1Â large eggplant, or 3 small
- 2Â large eggs, beaten
- 1/4Â cup coconut flour
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1Â cup almond meal/flour
- 1/4Â tsp garlic powder
- 1/4Â tsp Italian Herb Seasoning (I left this ingredient out but you can add basil or oregano to the flour if you don’t have the seasoning)
- red pepper flakes, to taste
- 1Â jar organic tomato sauce (I messed up a little on this as I forgot to check the ingredients on the sauce and it had added sugar. Bleh! Next time I’ll make my own.)
- 1/2 cup fresh shaved parmigiano-reggiano
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Set up a â€œbreadingâ€ station using 3 large bowls or plates.Â In the first dish, add the coconut flour and season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- In the second dish gently beat the eggs.
- In the third dish combine the almond meal, Italian herb seasoning (if using), and the garlic powder.
- Slice the eggplant into 3/4-inch slices.
- Coat the eggplant pieces in coconut flour, then in the eggs and finally in the almond meal.
- Next, arrange the eggplant pieces on a rack over a cookie sheet (so you don’t have a mess).
- Bake this in the oven until crispy about 25 minutes.
- If you’re using the cheese, shave the parmigiano-reggiano in a small bowl.
- When the eggplant has baked, remove it from the oven, turn them over and sprinkle the parmigiano reggiano on each piece of eggplant (about 1 tablespoon).
- Set your oven to “broil” then put the eggplant back in on the middle rack for approximately 4 minutes or until the cheese is melted or bubbly.
- Garnish with the red pepper flakes if you like.
- Serve with a small dish of marinara sauce for dipping.
Whala! That’s it! Â Here’s what the final meal looked like.
One thought on “Crispy Baked Eggplant Dippers”