This homemade recipe can be called Chicken Coconut Stew or Chicken Coconut Soup (if you like chunky soup) and it is totally paleo.
I simply took ingredients that I already had and came up with this tasty soup and even surprised myself (laughing).
I started out with this group items.
And we can’t forget the main ingredient — three chicken breasts.
I cut each chicken breast in three pieces to make it easier to grill on the stovetop in 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
Once the chicken was cooked, I allowed it to cool on the counter and then cut it into bite size pieces.
I like to have everything chopped and ready to go before I start cooking.
In a large soup pot (I have a Le Creuset Cast Iron Pot that I used), I added two tablespoons of olive oil and put it on medium heat. When the oil was hot, I added the onions, carrots and celery then allowed that to cook through.
Next, I added the mushrooms. Â (I am not a mushroom fan but my husband loves them so I cook with them on occasion.)
Then I added spinach and stirred it up. Doesn’t it look pretty?
Lastly I added the basil, chicken broth, cooked chicken and the coconut milk.
Then I waited for the soup to boil. Â Since the meat is already cooked, you just need the vegetables to cook through and make sure all the flavors are blended.
I added the coconut milk in slowly — 1/4 cup at a time — until I found the consistency and flavor that was to my liking. At the end, I added a total of 1 cup of coconut milk.
So — here’s the recipe so you can try it.
- 3 carrots, thin slices or chopped
- 4Â stalks celery, chopped
- 1/2Â large onion, chopped
- 1Â cup mushrooms
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup light coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2Â tsp salt
- 3 chicken breasts, grilled in olive oil and cut up into bite sized pieces
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- Prepare all vegetables ahead of time (see above).
- In a skillet, grill the chicken breasts in 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Once it’s cooked through, allow to cool on the counter and once cooled slice into bite size pieces.
- In a large soup pot on medium heat, add 2 tablespoons olive oil.
- When the oil is hot, add the carrots, celery and onions then stir until the onions are clear in color.
- Add the mushrooms to the pot and stir with the rest of the vegetables.
- Add the spinach to the pot and stir to combine with the rest of the vegetables.
- Add the basil, salt, chicken and the chicken broth to the pot and stir.
- Add the coconut milk a little at a time and stir to combine with the rest of the soup until you get the consistency and taste you want.
- Allow the soup to boil then bring to a simmer for 10 minutes.
That’s it! This is an easy peasy recipe and you can add whatever vegetables you like.
I served this with paleo Cranberry Orange Muffins.
(ClickÂ hereÂ for a list of other paleo friendly recipes.)