A couple of years ago I was given a cookbook called The New Way to Cook Light. I hadn’t looked at it for awhile since I’m able to find a lot of my recipes online. But, sometimes you just want to “feel” something in your hands, don’t you?
So, I was able to find a really good recipe in this cookbook called Simmered Cabbage With Beef, Shan Style. Â I changed it up just a tad to paleo-ize it. It’s a pretty good recipe and I served it with a side of steamed broccoli and sliced tomatoes in keeping with the “light” theme.
Here are the ingredients you’ll be looking at getting.
The hardest “labor” in this recipe will be chopping up the cabbage. Pretty easy, eh?
Okay so, now that you know it’s an easy and goodly recipe, are you ready to try it? (You can even prepare the cabbage ahead of time the day before and then it’s even oh so simple.)
- 2Â tablespoons olive oil
- 1Â cup thinly vertically sliced shallots
- 1Â teaspoon salt
- 1Â teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2Â teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1/4Â pound ground sirloin
- 4Â cups finely shredded cabbage (about 1 small head)
- 1Â cup thin plum tomato wedges (about 2 medium)
- 1/3Â cup slivered almonds
- Heat a wok or Dutch oven over medium heat.
- Add the olive oil to the pan and swirl it around to coat the bottom.
- Add the shallots, salt, turmeric, and red pepper then cook for 3 minutes or until the shallots are tender, stirring frequently.
- Add the beef then cook for 2 minutes or until the beef begins to brown.
- Add the cabbage and tomatoes then toss well to combine.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low then cover and cook for 10 minutes or until the cabbage wilts and the beef is cooked through.
- Stir in the almonds then cover and cook another 10 minutes or until the cabbage is tender.
There are approximately 238 calories per serving in this dish (not including any side dish you may include). Â That’s a pretty “light” dinner, no?
Hope you enjoy it!