I like recipes that incorporate meat with a salad. It feels ~ well, let me use the word “whole.”
These types of paleo recipes are normally very simple to make and I was glad that I bumped into this one.
It does seem to have a quite a few ingredients …
Even with all the ingredients, it still was worth making as I had most of them already in my cupboard.
I purchased the steak at Costco, sliced it thin then prepared it for the salad.
So ~ let’s take a look at the recipe, shall we?
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- Salt and pepper
- 1 Bell Pepper (I used an orange one)
- 1 shallot, diced
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lemon, juiced, plus 2 teaspoons zest
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard (I used Grey Poupon)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 12 kalamata olives, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 pounds sirloin steak, sliced thinly
- 1 teaspoon rosemary
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 5 cups ~ combination of iceberg lettuce and romaine (or choose your own)
- 2 medium sized tomatoes – quartered
- 1 cup feta cheese crumbles
- Sliced pepperocini, for garnish
- In a saucepan with cold water, add the cut sweet potato (make sure there is enough water to cover the potatoes), bring to a boil, add salt and cook until firm (approximately 4 minutes) then drain.
- In a bowl, combine the shallot, garlic, lemon juice, lemon zest, vinegar, mustard, oregano and red pepper flakes.
- Whisk in about 1/3 cup olive oil to combine.
- Stir in the olives. This is now your dressing.
- Pre-heat a skillet over medium-high heat.
- Drizzle the meat with olive oil and rub it on the meat.
- Season the meat with rosemary, salt and pepper.
- Add the meat to the skillet and cook until the meat is cooked through. (Turn it at least once to cook on both sides.)
- When the meat is cooked, remove from the skillet and set it aside on a plate to rest for a few minutes then slice it at an angle.
- Wipe the skillet clean, turn the heat to medium high and add a little bit of olive oil.
- Add the potato cubes to the skillet, season with salt and pepper then cook until the cubes are browned (3 minutes or so).
- Flip the potatoes and add the onion and bell pepper then cook for 5 minutes.
- Set this aside.
- In a large salad bowl, combine the romaine, tomatoes, feta and pepperocini.
- Add the contents of the skillet to the salad bowl and combine.
- Meanwhile, add the dressing to the skillet and heat for a minute. Slowly, pour part of the dressing over the salad and toss to coat. (Use only as much as you’d like.)
- To serve, arrange the salad on plates and top with steak.
Pretty easy, no? I believe this was the first time I used a cooked sweet potato in a “cold” salad.
For additional paleo recipes, click here.
This Paleo Greek Salad with Steak recipe was adapted from one by Rachael Ray.