This paleo recipe is quite flavorful and I enjoyed the spices on my palate and believe you will also.
Although it seems like there are a lot of ingredients it’s really just a tad of this and a tad of that ~ and most things you’ll have in your cupboard already.
The spices consist of cumin, cinnamon, coriander, paprika and turmeric. Then there’s the dried apricots and a little bit of ginger which I grated. This is what gave it the most “kick.”
Everything will be put into a dutch oven and will just bake through. You can also just put it in a casserole dish with aluminum foil over it. Simply enough, no?
Here’s the list of all of the ingredients ~
- 4 skinless chicken thighs (bone-in)
- Salt and freshly cracked black pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons virgin olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 medium yam (or sweet potato), peeled and cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup dried apricots, chopped or whole
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds
- Heat the oven to 350Â°F.
- Sprinkle the chicken with salt and pepper.
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat until hot thenÂ add the chicken thighs and cook, stirring occasionally until well browned on all sides
- When done, remove from the skillet and set this aside.
- Add the onion slices to the skillet and saute over medium heat stirringÂ frequently until they begin to brown.
- Add the garlic, stir and cook through another 1 minute.
- Add the yam or sweet potato, ginger, spices and the 2 teaspoons of salt then cook through for another minute or so.
- Add the chicken stock, the chicken thighs, and all the remaining ingredients and bring this to a boil.
- Transfer everything from the skillet to a casserole dish or dutch oven, cover and put it in the oven to bake for approximately 25 minutes.
(You can start this in the dutch oven and simply move that directly into the oven.)
That’s it! Â Simple as making pumpkin pie! Hmmm … wish I had some pumpkin pie right about now … (laughing)
Delicious! Â I served this with a bowl of steamed broccoli.
For additional paleo recipes, click here.