This paleo Baked Cod and Scallions with Spiced Potatoes recipe came out really really good. I was a little surprised because cod usually tastes so bland to me and needs lots of help. But don’t we all? (laughing)
It’s a fairly easy recipe though ~ my favorite kind ~ and the only change I made from the original recipe was to use sweet potatoes instead of red potatoes.
I purchased the cod at Trader Joe’s and used all the pieces that came prepackaged.
The first thing you’ll need to do is prepare the cod by cleaning it under cold water and drying it using paper towels. Next I sprayed the casserole dish that I was going to put the cod in with Olive Oil Spray to coat the bottom of my pan so the cod will not stick.
Next I added the scallions ~ trimmed yet whole ~ then drizzled a little bit of olive oil, salt and pepper on top of it all.
I sliced the unpeeled sweet potatoes into 1/4 inch pieces.
Then I sliced them in half.
The sweet potatoes will be put in a casserole dish, tossed with 1 tablespoon of olive, the chili powder, salt, and pepper. Then they will be baked in a 425° degree oven for approximately 20 minutes until they are golden brown and tender.
While the potatoes are baking, prepare the lemon by using a peeler and peeling strips from it. Then slice the peel pieces thinly and sprinkle it over the cod before it’s baked. Reserve the lemon to use once everything is cooked.
At the 10 minute mark of the potatoes being in the oven, you’ll be putting the cod in and cooking it until it’s opaque approximately 15 minutes (but follow the package directions if you have any).
And here’s the recipe ~
Paleo Baked Cod and Scallions with Spiced Potatoes
- 1 large sweet potato, clean and sliced 1/4 inch thick then halved again
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- Salt and black pepper
- 3-4 pieces of cod, cleaned in cold water then towel dried
- 2 bunches scallions, trimmed
- 1 lemon
- Heat the oven to 425° F.
- In a casserole dish, toss the potatoes with 1 tablespoon of the oil, the chili powder, salt, and pepper.
- Bake the potato, tossing once, until golden brown and tender, approximately 20 minutes.
- Next, place the cod and scallions in a second casserole dish then drizzle with the remaining tablespoon of oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Using a vegetable peeler, peel strips of zest from the lemon then thinly slice them and sprinkle over the cod. Reserve the lemon.
- After the potato has cooked for 10 minutes, place the cod in the oven and bake it until it is opaque throughout and the scallions are tender, approximately 15 minutes (or follow package directions).
- Cut the reserved lemon in half and squeeze over the fish.
- Serve the fish and scallions with the potatoes.
For additional paleo recipes, click here.