I’m still trying to keep my meal planning very simple so I can spend more time in the yard this spring/summer.
So ~ I made these marinated paleo Beef Shish Kabobs that took absolutely no time at all. You don’t have to marinate the meat, however, if you do the meat will be a lot more tender.
But, first things first ~ I used wooden skewers and they have to be soaked so they don’t burn in the oven. I soaked them in cool water for about 20 minutes. That did the trick. (The knife was to hold them down as they kept floating.)
Now, besides onion powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper, I use white vinegar to “soften” the beef. The longer you can marinate the beef the more tender it will be. Today I only marinated the beef for a couple hours and it didn’t come out as tender as my mouth was watering for ~ I think my problem though was using too little vinegar so the recipe below uses more than what I used. It will also depend on how much meat you have to tenderize so if you use a little bit of beef, don’t use as much vinegar ~ more beef, more vinegar.
The pieces of beef below were marinated, trimmed of fat and then cut into smaller pieces for the skewers.
I only used peppers and onion to accompany the beef. Simple, right?
Since I had cherry tomatoes on hand, I added them on the side so they could roast. I could have put them on the skewers but that sounded messy to me.
The shish kabobs should bake for about 20 minutes IF you like your meat medium well. I took them out at 10 minutes just to see what they looked like ~ a little to red for me:
These came out much better ~ don’t you agree?
Now for the recipe ~
Paleo Baked Beef Shish Kabobs
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup white vinegar (depends how much meat you have)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 - 3 peppers, cut into pieces to fit on the skewers
- 2 medium onions, cut into pieces to fit on the skewers
- Cherry tomatoes (optional)
- Wooden skewers
- Prepare the beef stew meat by cleaning it, trimming the fat and cutting it into bite sized pieces.
- Season the beef with the garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper then toss this all together.
- Add the vinegar to the seasoned beef, toss then cover with plastic and place in the refrigerator for 2-24 hours to marinate.
- Once the meat is marinated remove it from the refrigerator and allow to come it to room temperature (about 30 minutes).
- In a flat medium container, add cool water and soak the wooden skewers for approximately 20 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Prepare the vegetables for the skewers.
- Add pieces of beef and vegetables to the skewer alternating as you wish.
- Place the skewers in a casserole dish or a small oven rack to bake in the oven.
- If you're roasting cherry tomatoes, add them to the side of the dish next to the skewers.
- Bake for approximately 20 minutes (ovens bake differently so check the meat for doneness at 15 minutes).
Then ~ enjoy!
For more paleo recipes, click here.