I came across this recipe for Broccoli Sunflower Seed Soup. Â It sounded a little odd but the soup is really good.
This recipe was originally created to be Vegan but I used Greek Yogurt instead of Soy Yogurt.
- 1 lb broccoli
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 onion
- 1 celery stalk
- 1/4 cup sunflower kernels
- Pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
- Splash of Tabasco
- 1 teaspoon lemon pepper seasoning
- Salt to taste
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup Soy Yogurt (I used Greek)
A note regarding the red pepper flakes. Â Adding “a pinch” means you like a little “bite” to your soup. I would have added less than a “pinch” or none at all.
- Chop the onion and celery
- Cut broccoli in small pieces, leaving a few larger ones for garnish
- Heat oil in a large soup pot
- Add onion and celery and saute
- Add broccoli pieces
- Stir to mix flavors well
- Add red pepper flakes and bring soup to a boil
- Once boiling, lower heat, simmer for 5-8 minutes
- Add sunflower seeds and continue cooking
- Remove a few broccoli florets from soup for garnish
- Remove from heat and let cool a little while
- Using a blender, put half of the soup in and puree
- Add the remainder of the soup and puree
- Add the yogurt and mix all together in blender
- Add salt (I didn’t find I needed to), Tabasco and lemon pepper seasoning
- Return soup to pot and serve using the broccoli florets as garnish
This makes about 4 servings. Since the soup is thick, I added a little more yogurt for a creamier consistency.
I found this recipe at vegalicious.org.