Well, here I am again with another new recipe. This one is paleo and vegetarian but not vegan. You could use vegan cheese to solve that problem though.
Cauliflower is not one of my “go to” vegetables although, add a little aged cheese and my mind magically changes its mind.
This paleo Cauliflower Tomato Casserole is very easy to make and most of the recipes can already be found in (most) of your cupboards.
Although I had purchased the cauliflower just a couple of days before, there were some parts that didn’t look “healthy” to me ~ mainly the brown parts ~ so I cut those areas off and used the rest.
I first cut the cauliflower into smaller florets, rinse them clean and put them in a pot to steam until they were soft.
While the cauliflower was steaming, I prepared ingredients that will be combined with the cauliflower once it’s steamed ~
I combined the ingredients in a bowl (with the exception of the almond flour and cheese). Only half of the can of diced tomatoes is used. These ingredients will be combined with the steamed cauliflower.
The almond flour was tossed with my favorite cheese ~ Kerrygold Aged White Cheddar ~ although any cheese can be used. This was then tossed over the cauliflower mixture.
Once everything was ready, I popped my uncovered casserole dish into the oven for approximately 15 minutes or until the top started browning.
So ~ here’s the recipe for you to try. Let me know what you think.
Paleo Cauliflower Tomato Casserole
- 1 large cauliflower
- 1/2 (14.5) can diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons oregano
- large pinch ground cloves
- large pinch ground cinammon
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup almond flour
- 1/2 cup aged white cheddar cheese, shredded
- Preheat the oven to 400 Fahrenheit.
- Grease a casserole dish with olive oil or coconut oil.
- Cut the cauliflower into small florets and steam them until soft.
- Once the cauliflower is steamed, in a large bowl, add the florets and all the other ingredients except the almond flour and cheese then toss together.
- Add this cauliflower mixture to the casserole dish.
- In a medium sized bowl, combine the almond flour and cheese.
- Sprinkle the cheese mixture over the cauliflower mixture.
- Bake (convection oven) for approximately 15 minutes, uncovered, until the cheese is melted and the top is brownish.
- Note: For a regular oven bake approximately 25 minutes.
I adapted this recipe from a book called Linda McCartney’s Home Cooking.
I sure hope you enjoy it!
For additional paleo recipes, click here.