Seems like every time I go see my Mama now she makes us chicken empanadas. They are similar to a small calzone or a turnover. The filling can be anything you want (just make it flavorful).
The ingredient amounts are approximate as I added and then tasted as I went along until I had the “right” taste for my palette.
- Sofrito (see jar below or click here for how to make)
- Can of Tomato Sauce
- Green Olives
- Bakon, Hickory Smoke Style
- Package of Goya Tapas (cover for Empanadas)
- Scallions (chopped)
- Onion (chopped)
- Green Pepper (chopped)
- 1 medium sized potato
- Skinless Chicken (cut in small bite-sized pieces)
- Oil for frying
You can buy Goya brand Sofrito at the grocery store that is already made or click here for the recipe.
Bakon Hickory Smoke Style was recommended to me by a stranger I met at the local Adventist Book Center when I was shopping for some vegetarian items. It is vegetarian and very tasty.
- In a medium sized pot, add 2-3 tablespoons of Sofrito and warm through.
- Add 1/2 can of tomato sauce
- Add Bakon seasoning (to taste)
- Heat through (does not have to boil)
- Chop the vegetables and olives into small pieces and add to the sauce
- Cut the chicken into small bite sized pieces and add it to the sauce
- Heat on low until the chicken is cooked (about 45 minutes)
- While the filling is cooking, open the Goya tapas (covers) . They have a plastic film between them to keep them from sticking.
- After the ingredients have cooked through, add a couple of tablespoons to the middle of the tapas. Try not to use too much of the liquid or the tapa may fall apart.
- Fold the tapa over and with the edge of a fork, press down and seal the two ends.
- In a frying pan, heat the oil for frying. When hot, add one empanada at a time.
- Fry one side of the empanada, then turn over and fry the other side. Try not to over-fry them. You don’t want them to be extra crispy.
- Put the cooked empanadas on paper towels to soak the extra oil off of them.
- Serve with your choice of vegetable and rice.
My Mama usually makes this as a quick snack food for us. Use ingredients that you like. Then – enjoy!