I found this recipe while reading a blog that I follow and thought I’d try it with a red lentil soup that he also posted. I’ve made a few changes (like less onion since I have a guest who doesn’t like onions).
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil*
- 1 tablespoon black mustard seeds
- 1/2 medium onion, minced*
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Kosher salt
- 8 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger*
- 1 tablespoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or more, to taste)
- pinch asafoetida powder
- 1 large cauliflower cut into bite sized florets
- 1/4 teaspoon garam masala*
- 1/2 cup of water*
The * items are ones that I adjusted.
- Put the vegetable oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. When the oil is hot, add the black mustard seeds. Cook, until they change color which is less than a minute. Then add the onion and salt and lower the heat to medium.
- Cook the onion for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until clear. Add the garlic and ginger then cook for another couple of minutes. Meanwhile, gather the turmeric, cumin, cinnamon, cayenne and asafoetida in a small bowl. Put the mixture of spices into the pot, stir, and immediately add the cauliflower.
- Toss the cauliflower with the spices, add 1/2 cup of water, and cover the pot loosely. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the cauliflower is completely tender but not falling apart, 15 minutes or so. I added more than the original 1/4 cup of water so that we could have more sauce.
- Stir in the garam masala and taste. I tasted the dry garam masala and found it to be quite spicy for my taste so I put less in than the original recipe called for. Click here for the Wiki article on garam masala.
What I learned:
- It’s okay to adjust the spices to one’s taste
- The garam masala has similar ingredients as some of the other spices so if I had used the amount in the original recipe, it would have been too spicy for me
- The spices lose some of their spiciness when cooked but don’t depend on that to happen. Add a little at a time if you’re not sure
Enjoy! You only live once.
Click here for original recipe
[amazon_link id=”B001VNOG5U” target=”_blank” container=”” container_class=”” ][/amazon_link]