The original recipe for this beef stew is called Oven Braised Beef Stew but I have adapted it for a crock pot and made a couple other changes. Although I have a dutch oven, I find it’s a little harder to clean and I didn’t feel like dealing with that today. The crock pot, on the other hand, is quite an easy thing to clean.
I made a guacamole sauce to go on top of this stew which made it turn out all the more wonderful.
Here are the ingredients (minus the meat and salt) …
It’s quite easy to put together.
- 2 pounds beef stew meat cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes
- 1Â tablespoon chili powder
- 1 1/2Â teaspoons salt
- 1Â medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1Â tablespoon tomato paste
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2Â cup Chunky Salsa (this is different than the original recipe which used Double Roasted Salsa — I like a more mild flavor)
- 1/2Â cup chicken stock
- 1/2Â teaspoon Fish Sauce
- 1/4 cup chopped Cilantro
- In a large bowl, combine the beef, chili powder, and salt.
- Add the beef mixture to a crock pot.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the top of the beef in the crock pot (the order doesn’t matter).
- Cook on low for 6-7 hours or on high for approximately 4 hours.
- Check to make sure your meat is fully cooked before serving.
See how simple it is? I served the stew on a bed of rice with guacamole on top and steamed broccoli and brussels Â sprouts. Quite delicious!
Special thanks to NomNomPaleo for the “flavor” ingredients.