For the new year I’m planning on making more salads. Why, you ask?
Because I really enjoy them! This Red Cabbage Salad with Pears and Walnuts was simply scrumptious. I know, I know — red cabbage!! It’s true though. The salad tasted great without the usual salad fare such as lettuce or spinach.
In addition to not being disappointed with this salad, you’ll probably be one of the first on your block who makes something out of the ordinary. Hey! That means you’ll be just like me! (laughing)
Seriously though — I really did like this salad.
So — here are the key ingredients …
The original recipe called for grape seed oil. You won’t see that in the picture above because I decided to substitute the grape seed oil with a Basil and Sun Dried Tomato Olive Oil — it’s what I had in the cupboard and I thought it would work fine (and it did).
I also decided to make my own pomegranate syrup which was easy peasy. (I know, I know, there is no such word as peasy but it always rhymes well …)
Anyway — let’s get to making this salad which is also paleo, shall we?
- 1 Tablespoon plus 1/2 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil (or Basil & Sun Dried Tomato Oil if you can find it)
- 2 teaspoons pomegranate syrup (see directions below to make this)
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 head red cabbage, cut in half, cored, and very thinly sliced (4 cups)
- 1 pear, cored and sliced
- 1/2 cup toasted walnut pieces
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced red onion
Ingredients for Pomegranate Syrup
- 1 cup (8 ounces) pomegranate juice
- 2 Tablespoons Pure Maple Syrup
- 1 Tablespoon Lemon Juice
- Whisk the vinegar, oil, pomegranate syrup, and mustard in a small bowl then set this aside.
- Toss the cabbage, pear slices, walnuts, and red onion in a serving bowl.
- Serve the dressing on the side or (if you’re sure all of this salad will be eaten at once) toss the salad with the dressing.
To make the pomegranate syrup:
- Simmer 1 cup of pomegranate juice with 2 tablespoons of maple syrup and 1 Tablespoon lemon juice over medium heat for approximately 1 hour until it becomes thick.
That’s it! Enjoy!