It feels like it’s been a long time since I’ve posted a new recipe. Spring and summer arrived and I have two young men working with me on our acre so I’ve been been trying to work alongside them when they’re here.
After dinner, exhaustion sets in. I’m not a spring chicken anymore and this yard work takes a toll on this body. Bleh.
Come early July most of the yard work will be completed so I’ll have more time to focus on less physically strenuous things.
However, here’s a new recipe for you. (clap, clap, clap)
I wanted to call this paleo recipe Sweet Potato Salad. Then I thought, no, let’s call it Egg Salad.
Considering all my options, I decided to combine the two and let both the potatoes and the eggs get their credit ~ Paleo Sweet Potato & Egg Salad. Whew! Such hard decisions we have to make.
Making this was a no-brainer as I needed something to go with my baked chicken wings and potato salads are always good with chicken wings.
I first hard boiled 6 eggs. Do you have a special set time you use to hard boil your eggs? I use 7 minutes exactly. And that’s from when the water starts to boil.
Next I had to find some white sweet potatoes and I was fortunate that I had two in the cupboard. They looked a little … well, I wasn’t sure they were alive. (haha) They looked sad but they worked.
I peeled these potatoes making sure I cut off any parts that looked “too sad” to use.
Then I cut them into small bite-sized pieces.
Next I boiled them until they were firm but tender. Hmmm … are you confused about what that means? I used to be but not anymore. Really all you’re looking for is boiling them until they are a tad soft (yet cooked). You don’t want them to fall apart in your recipe.
I used a pot that was a little too big for the amount of potatoes I had so I made sure I didn’t use too much water ~ just enough to cover the potatoes.
Next I decided to use some carrots in my salad ~ just to be different. I took a half carrot, peeled it, sliced it thinly then cut it into 1 inch or so pieces.
Then you’re basically putting everything together once you have the prep work done.
One last note though ~ I use a homemade mayonnaise recipe (click here) but I substitute olive oil instead of the canola oil.
Ready to see the recipe?
Sweet Potato & Egg Salad
- 6 hard boiled eggs
- 2 medium white sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1/2 small carrot, sliced thin and cut into 1 inch pieces
- Mustard (to taste)
- Mayonnaise (homemade - see recipe but substitute olive oil for the canola oil ~ http://www.mikekostyo.com/blog/2013/2/25/homemade-mayonnaise-chicken-salad.html)
- Salt (to taste)
- Pepper (to taste)
- Boil the 6 eggs until they are hard (on my electric stove it takes approximately 7 minutes to get them hard boiled).
- Boil the sweet potatoes until they are firm (you don't want them too soft) then allow them to cool for about 10 minutes.
- When the eggs are ready, peel them then slice them thinly.
- When the sweet potatoes are ready, drain the water then put them a medium sized bowl.
- Add the eggs and carrots to the bowl.
- Add the mayonnaise, mustard, salt and pepper then mix everything together.
- Taste to make sure it doesn't need more of any ingredient for your taste.
- Ahhhh ~ enjoy!
For additional paleo recipes, click here.