A new year … a new recipe. Have you resolved to eat better this year? I hope so. Health is so important and one thing I learned is that what you eat definitely affects how you feel.
Eat sugar and you’ll start feeling sluggish with little aches and pains running throughout your body. Just saying …
This Paleo Salmon Patty recipe was adapted from one found at OurPaleoLife but they call them Salmon Filets.
The patties use fresh salmon instead of canned and came out delicioso (delicious).
Here are the ingredients you’ll be needing (salt and coconut oil not shown).
Make sure to have your eggs at room temperature as that affects how the patties will cook through. If you forgot to take the eggs out early, just put them in warm water for 3 minutes or so and that will work just as well.
I used two pieces of salmon that in total weighed 9 ounces. After baking them in the oven until cooked, I allowed them to cool and then used my clean hands to shred them into pieces.
After I hand shredded the salmon, I set that aside in a bowl and grated 1/4 cup of raw sweet potato (peeling it first). A side note: I peeled and boiled the rest of the sweet potato and made a sweet potato mash to have as a “side” dish (don’t want to waste any food).
Then it was a matter of adding the diced onion, eggs, minced garlic, and the sweet potato into a bowl and mixing it all together.
Once that was mixed, I added the red pepper flakes and fresh ground pepper and combined this into the salmon mix.
And then it was just a matter of adding a little bit of coconut oil to a skillet (how much depends on how big your skillet is), using your hands to make the patties as small or as large as you want them and frying them up. I made palm sized patties.
Ready to see the recipe?
- 9 ounces Salmon Filet, baked, cooled then shredded into small pieces
- 1/2 cup Almond Flour, sifted so there are no lumps
- 1 small Onion, minced
- 1 clove of Garlic, minced
- 2 Eggs at room temperature
- 1/4 cup raw peeled and grated Sweet Potato
- A pinch of fresh ground Black Pepper
- A pinch of Red Pepper Flakes
- Coconut Oil for frying
- Bake your salmon filet until it is cooked through then remove it from the oven and set it aside until it cools. (I cooked mine at 350° Fahrenheit for 25 minutes but ovens vary so check and re-check to make sure you don’t bake it too long.)
- Once the salmon cools, shred it with your hands into small pieces inside a medium sized bowl.
- Add the minced onion and garlic to the top of the salmon in the bowl.
- Next, add the eggs, almond flour and the grated sweet potato to the salmon bowl then mix everything together until it’s all blended.
- Add the black pepper and red pepper flakes to the salmon mixture then taste it until you have the right taste for your “buds.”
- In a medium or large skillet, add a little bit of frying oil ~ just enough so that the patties will be able to fry in it ~ and wait until it gets nice and hot.
- Once the oil is hot, make palm size patties with your hands that aren’t too thick and place them in the oil to fry.
- When one side of the patty is fairly browned, turn it over and fry the other side.
And that is pretty much it. These patties were delicious.
For additional paleo recipes, click here.