This dish is easy to make. My mother normally makes it with chicken wings but I decided to use the leftover chicken thighs I had in the freezer. I thawed the chicken in cold water in the morning and by 4:00 they were ready to be cooked.
- 6 chicken thighs (skinless or remove the skin)
- 1/4 – 1/2 can of tomato sauce
- 1 package Sazon
- 4 tablespoons Goya Recaito (see below)
- Approximately 1/2 cup of water
- 1 box of mostaccioli (12 or 16 oz)
- On medium heat in a large pot, add the tomato sauce, sazon and recaito. Stir well.
- If the chicken is not skinless, remove the skin from most of the chicken (the less skin, the less fat). If you use small drumsticks or chicken wings, I wouldn’t bother removing the skin.
- Add the chicken to the pot. Make sure during the first half hour you stir all of the ingredients so that the chicken does not stick to the bottom of the pot.
- Add 1/2 cup water to the mixture and continue stirring occasionally.
- Allow the chicken to cook all the way through — about 45 minutes.
- In a separate pot, cook the mostaccioli according to the package instructions.
- When the mostaccioli is cooked, drain it and then cool it under cold water so it does not stick.
- Add the mostaccioli to the chicken mixture slowly and stir until all is mixed together.
Note: Sazon and Recaito (or Sofrito) can be purchased at almost any store that has a Spanish section. If you are not able to find it, you can make sofrito from scratch and use that instead. I use the two interchangeably. Click here for the sofrito recipe.